Search search icon

Foreclosure Assistance

Beware of Foreclosure Scams

Unfortunately, scam artists are preying on homeowners in crisis. Beware of any individual or organization that wants to charge you a fee to negotiate a refinancing or modification or who makes unrealistic promises that they can save your home. You do NOT have to pay any fees to take advantage of foreclosure prevention programs. You should work directly with your current lender/servicer. If you need help or advice, consult a HUD-certified housing counseling agency. The H.O.M.E. DuPage (Homeownership Money Education) is one local HUD-certified agency that offers free housing counseling services. Listing of additional agencies.

The Federal Trade Commission has important tips on their website to help consumers recognize and avoid foreclosure scams: FTC Rent and Foreclosure Scams Info.

If you have paid a fee to a third party and believe you have been the victim of a scam, the Illinois Attorney General's Office may be able to help. More information on their services.

Resources for Struggling Homeowners

How does the Foreclosure process work in DuPage County?

Following is a typical timeline of events:

  1. You fail to make your mortgage payment.
  2. Your lender sends you a notice informing you of default and possible options for preventing foreclosure
  3. You miss your third mortgage payment - lender sends notice of default and intent to foreclose
  4. Lender's attorney files foreclosure complaint with DuPage County Court intending to foreclose, usually within 30 days
  5. You receive notice from the court by being served with a complaint to foreclose (via U.S. mail)
  6. Within 30 days of service, if you do not file an answer with the court, lender's attorney will file a motion for default or summary judgment
  7. Approximately three months later judgment of foreclosure is entered and sale is scheduled
  8. Judicial sale (7 months after service of complaint or 3 months after judgment by court, whichever is later)
  9. 15 days later, confirmation of sale by court order
  10. Homeowner's right to possession expires 30 days after confirmation
  11. Eviction by sheriff

The entire legal process typically takes 9 months

I've tried to work with my lender/servicer, but I'm not getting a response. What can I do?

Keep complete records of all contacts with your lender/servicer, including fax receipts, copies of correspondence, copies of emails and a phone log of any conversations that includes the date and time of the call, the name of the person with whom you spoke and a summary of the issues discussed. Bring this information to court and share it with the judge on your scheduled appearance date. You also can contact a HUD-certified housing counseling agency like the DuPage Homeownership Center or you can contact Prairie State Legal Services (contact information is listed below) to inquire if they might be able to assist you.

My Lender/servicer has rejected my application for a modification. What can I do?

You can contact a HUD-certified housing counseling agency like the DuPage Homeownership Center or you can contact Prairie State Legal Services (contact information listed below) to see if they can review the situation and offer general guidance regarding your options.

Sign Up